Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Perfect Beef Stroganoff

I'm a little obsessive when it comes to cooking. I have a small repertoire of recipes (about 20), but I keep refining them until they're as close to perfection as I can get them. Last night, I made my final tweeks to a beef stragnoff recipe that has come as close as I can get it. Remember, these recipes are to my taste, so you're version of nirvana will differ from mine. I'm of a school of thought that says complicated recipes are just a way to try to make all foods taste like bacon. In any case, here's the recipe:

Ingredients
1.5 pounds beef chuck roast or stew beef
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 ounces butter
4 green onions, sliced (white parts only)
1/2 onion chopped
1/2 tsp of rosemary
1/2 tsp thyme
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
1 teaspoon prepared mustard (I like brown)
6 ounce sliced mushrooms
2 cloves of garlic - pressed or minced
1/2 cup sour cream
1/3 cup white wine
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste

Directions
1.Remove any fat and gristle from the roast and cut into strips 1/2 inch thick by 2 inches long.
1.5 In a large bowl, mix Rosmary, thyme, flour, salt and pepper. Add the beef cubes and toss until they are coated.
2.In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and brown the beef strips quickly, then push the beef strips off to one side. Add the onions and mushrooms, cook slowly for 3 to 5 minutes, add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
3. Pour in beef broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and stir in mustard. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the meat is tender.
4.Five minutes before serving, stir in the mushrooms, sour cream, and white wine. Heat briefly then salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment