Saturday, April 11, 2009

Day 2: Removing the Engine

I had to delay removing the engine due to snow. I'm a big wimp when it comes to working in the cold. I have never enjoyed it, but working with numb fingers, trying to manipulate small parts, while laying on cold concrete is too much for me. I waited until it warmed up.


Yesterday was just warm enough where I could go outside without a jacket, so I took a crack at the engine. It was somewhat of a chore to get the engine out. I think the studs that held the engine to the bell housing were not fully installed at some point, because the were finger tight. The car slipped off of the jack during one scary moment, but the safety jacks I had in place caught the car after only a inch or two of travel....short enough where no damage was caused, far enough to make me go change my shorts.

The best part of the day was when I found out the reason for the engine seizure. In the picture to the left you can see the remains of a spring plate arm return spring. It broke off of the arm and became caught in the gears. That spring traveled up into the starter motor pinion, and got wedged between the flywheel gear and the starter - instant stuck engine. As soon as I freed the flywheel, the motor turned freely again. Take a look at the spring plate below. See the spring wrapped around one of the arms? Well, there used to be one on each of the arms. That was my problem.

I'm also going to replace the throw out bearing and control arm for good measure. The parts are cheap and I've already got the engine out, so its an opportune time to do this.

I'm debating on whether or not to replace the flywheel. At the minimum it needs to be resurfaced. A new one costs almost the same as resurfacing. Its a sign of our times. Everything costs the same amount to fix as it does to just throw away the old one and replace it. I think I might keep it just on principle.

No comments:

Post a Comment